August 28, 2019
This month we explored the health benefits of this increasingly popular food preparation process. From yogurt to kombucha, sauerkraut to tempeh, we unlocked the mystery of fermentation.
Resources, recipes and more:
- Health benefits of fermented foods, from healthline.
- Examples of fermented foods, from EatingWell.
- Seasonings to use in fermentation, from the MakeSauerkraut blog.
- Types of starter cultures, from Cultures for Health.
- Instant Pot Yogurt, from Emily's Fresh Kitchen.
- Fermentation Safety Tips, from Fermented Food Lab.
- 4 Ways to Ferment Vegetables without Salt, from Fermentools.
- An Easy Recipe for Fermenting Vegetables, from Running to the Kitchen.
- Free Online Fermentation Summit
- How to ferment anything: Fermentation for beginners, from Better Done Yourself on YouTube.
- Benefits of Sauerkraut, from Nourishing Plot.
- Fermented Vegetables Demo, from Mercola on YouTube.
- Information about rejuvelac, from Superfood Evolution.
- Air Lock Lids for Use to Fermentation, from Nourished Essentials.
July 31, 2019
Calling all Grill Masters! This month we gathered around Hadley's virtual barbeque pit to share our favorite gadgets, tips and tricks for grilling.
- Flame Boss wireless meat thermometer. Can be used with Alexa or smartphone app.
- Weber iGrill Bluetooth meat thermometer, recommended by Master Chef winner Christine Ha.
- Welding Gloves for protection
- Silicone Oven Mitts
- Double-headed spatula from MaxiAids
- Non-Stick Grill Mat
Grilling Tips and Recipes
- Chris Peltz of Blind Grillin' is a blind pitmaster with how-to videos. You can also find him on Facebook, YouTube, and Cool Blind Tech.
- Daddy's Tangy Grilling Sauce Recipe
Search for books on BBQ recipes
June 26, 2019
Whether you're headed to the park, beach, or even just your own backyard, summer picnics are the perfect way to share food and fellowship with family and friends. This month we shared tips for slicing and serving watermelon, making sauerkraut, and preparing dishes that won't go bad in the heat.
May 29, 2019
Whether you're a cooking novice or master home chef, it's always fun to discover new tips to use in the kitchen! For our first discussion, we shared our favorite kitchen "hacks". We've got a virtual pantry stocked full with tips, gadgets, and recipes that's just waiting to be explored by home cooks like you.
We started the discussion by learning some tips from a Buzzfeed article, titled "21 Cooking Tips That Will Change Your Life".
Tools for filling muffin cups:
- Scoops (similar in style to the spring release ice cream scoop)
- Pampered Chef: Large Scoop for standard cupcakes/muffins; Small Scoop for mini cupcakes/muffins
- Wikipedia article for determining the correct scoop to use
Microwaving corn on the cob:
Content shared during discussions is for general information purposes only. We encourage you to thoroughly consider if any resource or suggestion is a good fit for you. The inclusion of links does not imply a recommendation or endorsement. The opinions expressed by the participants are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Hadley.