Frequently Asked Questions

How much does a Hadley course cost?

Materials and instruction in the Family Education (FE) Program are provided free of charge; the cost to you is your commitment of time and diligence to your studies. We ask that you enroll in a course only when you have the time required for its completion.

Can I learn braille?

Yes. We offer several braille courses for sighted students. Instruction ranges from beginning uncontracted braille through contracted braille. Hadley also offers a course in basic Nemeth code for mathematics.

Who is eligible to enroll?

You are eligible to enroll in the FE Program if you are a parent or grandparent of a blind or severely visually impaired child; or if you are a spouse, adult daughter or son, or adult sibling of a blind or severely visually impaired adult. It is important that you can read and understand courses written in English.

Are Hadley courses offered online or through the mail?

More courses are offered online each year through our eHadley initiative. While many courses are still available through the mail, email submission of assignments is encouraged.

Do I have to buy textbooks?

No, Hadley provides your study materials. The student is responsible for all equipment and supplies needed to prepare and submit assignments, such as paper, envelopes, postage, computers and Internet access.

How long does it take to complete a Hadley course?

Hadley courses generally contain between six and 10 lessons. Some courses have as few as one and the longest course has 30 lessons. The time it takes to complete a course depends upon the length of the course and the determination of the student.

Students taking a course online or submitting assignments by email are expected to submit a lesson every two to four weeks. Students submitting assignments through the mail are expected to submit a minimum of one assignment per month.

How do I contact my instructor?

Complete contact information for your instructor is included with the course materials. FE faculty names and email addresses are located on the FE Faculty page.

When can I enroll?

Anytime! Hadley offers year-round open enrollment--no waiting for the next semester to apply. Enroll online or contact the school to receive an enrollment application.

Does Hadley provide technical assistance?

If you have a technical question or problem with a Hadley course, email the help desk at If you prefer to leave a voice message, call 800-323-4238 if calling from the United States, Puerto Rico, or Canada. All other students, call 847-446-8111, extension 6690. Be sure to provide your name, telephone number with area code, the course title and a description of the problem you are experiencing. This support is for course-related inquiries only. We are unable to answer general computer-related questions.