April 22, 2020
Many of us have a favorite cookbook, but we went hands-free with accessible recipe apps and websites! We shared our favorites with the group and learned some new places to find cooking inspiration.
- Debbie Macomber's Cedar Grove Cookbook available on Bookshare and BARD (DB 71541)
- The All New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook available on Bookshare and BARD (DB 67322)
- Bon Appetit Magazine available on BARD (membership required)
- Yummly (Android and iOS) recipes and shopping lists
- Recipe Keeper (Android and iOS) accessible recipe storage app
- Aira (Android and iOS) connecting trained sighted agents with visually impaired users
- Seeing AI (iOS) audio identification app that can read short text, documents, currency, and more.
- Be My Eyes (Android and iOS) connects sighted volunteers with blind users
March 25, 2020
Tired of nightly kitchen clean up? Save time and effort by preparing make ahead meals! This month we shared tips and tricks for throwing together freezer bag recipes that can be dumped straight into your slow cooker.
- Fix-It and Forget-It Slow Cooker Freezer Meals, available on Bookshare and Amazon Kindle.
- From Freezer to Cooker: Delicious Whole-Foods Meals for the Slow Cooker, Pressure Cooker, and Instant Pot, available on Bookshare.
- Original Jokari Adjustable Baggy Rack Stand 2 Pack from Amazon
- Reusable Freezer Bags from Amazon
- Bulk Betty Crocker Round Storage Containers from Dollar Tree
- Itaki Lunch Box Classic - Slow Cooker for 1
- 16 Vegetarian Crock Pot Freezer Meals from Oh My Veggies
- Slow Cooker Recipes: Healthy Eating Made Easy from Everyday Health
- AMI Blind Life Hack: Basic Knife Use (YouTube Video)
- Containers for Freezing Blog Post from Once a Month Meals
- 17 Things You Need to Know About Slow Cooker Freezer Meals from Family Freezer
- Make Ahead Freezer to Slow Cooker Freezer Meals from Mommy's Fabulous Finds
- 8 Make-Ahead Freezer Meals for Your Slow Cooker from All Recipes
- 20 Make-Ahead Slow Cooker Freezer Meals That Will Save Your Sanity This Fall from Hello Glow
February 26, 2020
Experienced visually impaired cook and author Deborah DeBord joined us and shared adaptive culinary tips and techniques from her cookbook, "Cooking with Feeling And Other Useful Senses."
- PenFriend 3 Voice Labeling System from MaxiAids
- DoMii Extra Long Silicone Oven Mitts from Amazon
- Chef'n GarlicZoom Garlic Chopper and Peeler Set from Bed Bath and Beyond
- 6-Piece Measuring Spoon Ladle Set from Webstaurant Store
- Misto Brushed Aluminum Oil Sprayer from Amazon covers veggies and salads evenly with oil
- Cooking with Feeling by Deborah DeBord from National Braille Press - Accessible cookbook with adaptive techniques
- The Savory Palette - Deborah DeBord's cooking website
January 22, 2020
The Instant Pot pressure cooker is a versatile small kitchen appliance that does everything a slow cooker can do, and more. We explored the basics of the Instant Pot, its accessibility features, and your favorite recipes.
- Large Print Diagram of Instant Pot Duo Keypad Word Document by Learning Expert Pam Winters
- Mealthy Crisplid turns pressure cooker into an air fryer
- Bar Keepers Friend Powdered Cleanser (on Amazon) can be used to keep the Instant Pot clean
December 18, 2019
We discussed safety tips, easy recipes and fun gadgets to try for the holiday baking season. The holidays may be winding down, but the baking fun doesn't have to stop!
- DYMO Embossing Label Maker on Amazon.
- Labelers from MaxiAids, for your PenFriend, VoiLa, and more.
- WayAround Tags. PhoneL (833) 857-7760.
- Brownie Pan with Dividers from Amazon.
- Free Printable Labels from The Organized Mama blog.
November 27, 2019
From carving a turkey to mashing the potatoes, Thanksgiving can be full of flavor and fun. So this month we shared some low vision tips, techniques and recipes for the holiday.
October 30, 2019
With fall's arrival, we decided to do a live demo of making pumpkin soup. We covered slicing, blending, and more from a low vision perspective. Enjoy this recipe and learn a few cooking tips along the way!
September 25, 2019
This month we elevated the humble sandwich to levels that'll make you the envy of every lunch table! We explored some lower carb options, as well as other sandwich-making tips.
Sandwich Tips and Recipes:
August 28, 2019
This month we explored the health benefits of this increasingly popular food preparation process. From yogurt to kombucha, sauerkraut to tempeh, we unlocked the mystery of fermentation.
Resources, recipes and more:
- Health benefits of fermented foods, from healthline.
- Examples of fermented foods, from EatingWell.
- Seasonings to use in fermentation, from the MakeSauerkraut blog.
- Types of starter cultures, from Cultures for Health.
- Instant Pot Yogurt, from Emily's Fresh Kitchen.
- Fermentation Safety Tips, from Fermented Food Lab.
- 4 Ways to Ferment Vegetables without Salt, from Fermentools.
- An Easy Recipe for Fermenting Vegetables, from Running to the Kitchen.
- Free Online Fermentation Summit
- How to ferment anything: Fermentation for beginners, from Better Done Yourself on YouTube.
- Benefits of Sauerkraut, from Nourishing Plot.
- Fermented Vegetables Demo, from Mercola on YouTube.
- Information about rejuvelac, from Superfood Evolution.
- Air Lock Lids for Use to Fermentation, from Nourished Essentials.
July 31, 2019
Calling all Grill Masters! This month we gathered around Hadley's virtual barbeque pit to share our favorite gadgets, tips and tricks for grilling.
- Flame Boss wireless meat thermometer. Can be used with Alexa or smartphone app.
- Weber iGrill Bluetooth meat thermometer, recommended by Master Chef winner Christine Ha.
- Welding Gloves for protection
- Silicone Oven Mitts
- Double-headed spatula from MaxiAids
- Non-Stick Grill Mat
Grilling Tips and Recipes
- Chris Peltz of Blind Grillin' is a blind pitmaster with how-to videos. You can also find him on Facebook, YouTube, and Cool Blind Tech.
- Daddy's Tangy Grilling Sauce Recipe
Search for books on BBQ recipes
June 26, 2019
Whether you're headed to the park, beach, or even just your own backyard, summer picnics are the perfect way to share food and fellowship with family and friends. This month we shared tips for slicing and serving watermelon, making sauerkraut, and preparing dishes that won't go bad in the heat.
May 29, 2019
Whether you're a cooking novice or master home chef, it's always fun to discover new tips to use in the kitchen! For our first discussion, we shared our favorite kitchen "hacks". We've got a virtual pantry stocked full with tips, gadgets, and recipes that's just waiting to be explored by home cooks like you.
We started the discussion by learning some tips from a Buzzfeed article, titled "21 Cooking Tips That Will Change Your Life".
Tools for filling muffin cups:
- Scoops (similar in style to the spring release ice cream scoop)
- Pampered Chef: Large Scoop for standard cupcakes/muffins; Small Scoop for mini cupcakes/muffins
- Wikipedia article for determining the correct scoop to use
Microwaving corn on the cob:
Content shared during discussions is for general information purposes only. We encourage you to thoroughly consider if any resource or suggestion is a good fit for you. The inclusion of links does not imply a recommendation or endorsement. The opinions expressed by the participants are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Hadley.