Frequently Asked Questions

How much does a Hadley course cost?

Materials and instruction in the Adult Continuing Education (ACE) Program are provided free of charge; the cost to you is your commitment of time and diligence to your studies. We ask that you enroll in a course only when you have the time required for its completion.

Can I learn braille?

Yes. We offer several levels of braille instruction, ranging from beginning uncontracted braille through instruction for the experienced braille reader. View a list of Hadley's braille courses.

Who is eligible to enroll?

Individuals age 14 and up who are legally or functionally blind or progressively visually impaired are invited to apply. Proficiency in reading and writing English is required.

Are Hadley courses offered online or through the mail?

More courses are offered online each year through our eHadley initiative. Most Hadley courses are available in a variety of media: large print, braille, audio or online. Some restrictions apply to students outside the U.S. Email submission of assignments is encouraged. View a list of ACE Online Courses.

Do I have to buy textbooks?

No. Hadley provides textbooks and study materials. The student is responsible for equipment and supplies needed to prepare and submit assignments, such as paper, envelopes, computers and access technology.

How long does it take to complete a Hadley course?

Hadley courses generally contain between six and 10 lessons. Some courses have as few as one, and the longest course has 30 lessons. Therefore, the time it takes to complete a course depends upon the length of the course and the determination of the student.

Students taking a course online or submitting assignments by email are expected to submit a lesson every two to four weeks. Students submitting assignments through the mail are expected to submit a minimum of one assignment per month.

How many courses may I take at one time?

Students may enroll in up to three courses at one time. However, to be enrolled in additional courses, you must have completed at least three lessons, earning satisfactory in any current course(s). To learn more about multiple course enrollments, visit Policies and Procedures.

How do I contact my instructor?

Complete contact information for your instructor is included with the course materials. ACE faculty names and email addresses are located on the ACE Faculty page.

When can I enroll?

Anytime! Hadley offers year-round open enrollment—no waiting for the next semester to apply. Enroll online or contact the school to receive an enrollment application in your preferred medium.

Does Hadley provide technical assistance?

If you have a technical question or problem with a Hadley course, email the help desk at If you prefer to leave a voice message, call 800-323-4238 if calling from the United States, Puerto Rico, or Canada. All other students, call 847-446-8111, extension 6690. Be sure to provide your name, telephone number with area code, the course title and a description of the problem you are experiencing. Help desk support is for course-related inquiries only. We are unable to answer general computer-related questions.